Armor Class: 14
Hit Points: 136 (13d12+52)
Speed: 25 ft.
STR 25 (+7) – DEX 15 (+2) – CON 19 (+4) – INT 6 (-2) – WIS 12 (+1) – CHA 9 (-1)
Skills: Perception +4
Senses: passive Perception 14
Challenge: 9 (5200 XP)
- Multiattack. The Diplodocobra makes two attacks per turn against different targets. The bite and tail attacks can only be used once per turn, but it can make two stomp attacks against different targets in the same turn.
- Bite. +8 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d10+4) piercing damage plus 11 (3d6) poison.
- Stomp. +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (4d8+8) bludgeoning damage.
- Tail. +5 to hit, reach 40 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d6+8) bludgeoning damage.
Along with Kong-class giant apes and tyrannosaurs, diplodocobras are the apex predators of Dinosaur Island. The neck and head can strike quickly enough to bring down pterosaurs and giant birds such as teratorns. Creatures that are strong enough to resist the diplodocobra’s venom can still be dragged close and stomped to death. Sorcerors of Dinosaur Island covet diplodocobras as mounts but only the most powerful can hope to control them, usually with the aid of a mind-control helmet.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
This is partly hacked from the 5e Monster Manual entry on T. rex, based on the fact that the largest tyrannosaurs and an average Diplodocus were both about 10-12 tons. I bumped the AC up by one because sauropods had thick skin, we know this from the thickness of the armor plates that some of them had embedded in their hides. The body of the Diplodocobra in the picture is one of my photos of the Apatosaurus maquette from Sideshow Collectibles, which I reviewed here. I would have used an actual Diplodocus but no-one has ever made one as nice as that Sideshow Apatosarus. AND I suspect that most people who can suspend disbelief enough to accept a cobra-headed sauropod will not care about the substitution (if you do, feel free to draw or photoshop your own, this critter is yours now). The font in the picture is the Vornheim alphabet by Zak S.
This is my first attempt at making up a D&D monster with stats and everything. Comments are welcome.